Getting robbed could be a traumatizing experience for anyone. Going outside would be a difficult situation and going to the place where you’ve been robbed might take a while. You’d think that maybe you could have defended yourself if your airsoft gun was with you.
The question is, can you use an airsoft gun for self-defense? It may sound like a good idea but whether this protects you or put you in more danger is a different thing. Let’s find out.
Is an Airsoft Gun Enough for Self-Defense?
After some research, you can definitely find the answer and it is a resounding “N0”.
While airsoft guns resemble real firearms, they lack the firepower to do any kind of damage to an assailant. You may end up exposing yourself to real mortal danger if the assailant is carrying a real firearm.
Though you can use the airsoft gun as a deterrent to anyone who wants to attack you, once they discover that you’re only using an airsoft gun with no real power, they may seek to punish you for it.
Below, let’s find out the reasons why it’s not a good idea to use an airsoft gun for self-dense and what good alternatives can you use.
Airsoft Guns Have No Real Damage
A Simple Calculation
- An average airsoft gun fires a .20 gram bb at 360 feet per second. This gives the gun muzzle energy of 0.89 foot pounds or 1.14 joules.
- In comparison, a common 9mm round has a muzzle energy of around 383 foot pounds or 519 joules. That’s almost 500 times as powerful!
A common air rifle, which is non-lethal, is still about 20 times as powerful as an airsoft gun. This means even among airguns an airsoft gun is worse at stopping someone who is coming at you.
The worst that an airsoft gun can do to you is create a wart if you are shot on the bare skin. If you are shot in a place that is well covered with clothes you would hardly feel the impact.
An assailant, who has a different way of thinking than you, filled with adrenaline and malice, might not even feel anything. This makes an airsoft gun highly likely to cause more harm than protect you.
Using an Airsoft Guns as a Threat
If you ever use an airsoft gun for self-defense, you should never attempt to shoot. The facade that you’re using a real firearm will be immediately lifted and you will not have any other defense – other than the wart-maker that you carry.
The main way you can use an airsoft gun for self-defense is by brandishing it as a real gun to deter any potential attacker from coming any closer. The fact that many airsoft guns have an uncanny resemblance to real firearms gives them an advantage of scaring any potential attacker.
The key is to make them believe that you’re holding a real gun that can cause real damage.
Airsoft Guns That You Can Use for Self-Defense
We would not recommend using an airsoft gun as a way of defending yourself. As they have no actual damage and bring more harm than good, using an airsoft gun as a defense is not something you want to do. As soon as your assailant realizes you have a non-lethal weapon, you might as well just run for it.
However, if you still want to proceed and use an airsoft gun as a way of protecting yourself, you need to ensure that the gun you’re using is as realistic as possible. Your gun will act as a deterrent rather than a weapon.
Here are a few things to consider when using an airsoft gun for self-defense:
- A gun that doesn’t have an orange tip to make it look very similar to real firearms.
- Get a gun that has high FPS to inflict some damage or at least stun the assailant that can give you a chance to get away.
- Use gas-powered airsoft guns that generally have higher FPS than most airsoft guns.
What Airsoft Guns Can You Use?
Below is a list of airsoft guns you can choose from that can serve as good self-defense guns.
Self-Defense Tools Are More Effective Than Airsoft Guns
There are better methods of protecting yourself from an attack than using an airsoft gun. These methods are better at immobilizing the attacker and giving you enough time to escape. Look further below to see which of these interests you in defending yourself.
Taser guns are a good way of immobilizing an attacker without hurting or causing anyone permanent injuries. On top of this, there are many variations of taser guns that can be disguised as everyday items.
Carrying a good taser gun that can be easily disguised both protects you from any potential harm and also hides your gun to avoid any alarm from security.
1. Taser Pulse
The Taser Pulse stun gun looks like a firearm and may not be allowed in some places. It is still a great item that you can use to protect yourself from real danger.
Here is a short video on how effective the Taser Pulse is.
- It’s very effective as you can see in the video.
- It’s light and easy to carry.
- You don’t have to be close to the attacker to use it (15 Ft Engagement Distance).
- It looks like a firearm and would be a good threat even without having to use it.
- The company claims that they will replace your gun if you actually use it and file a police report.
- The battery runs out after a few months of storage. This is a big one and maybe the deal breaker for most.
- Expensive, the replacement cartridges cost around $40.
2. VIPERTEK VTS-989 Stun Gun
This stun gun is praised for its ease of use and how easily it fits in the hand. You can also recharge it yourself.
Here is a video demonstration if you want to learn more about this stun gun.
- Highly effective even through thick clothing.
- Makes a loud scary zapping noise that will deter anyone who gets close.
- Fits nicely into the hand which gives it a good grip.
- The battery lasts a long time.
- The battery is rechargeable and there are no extra items you need to buy to use it for a long time.
- The stun pins come loose and break off. This may be avoided if the stun gun is properly stored and properly carried.
- Charging them inappropriately may damage the battery and make them unusable.
The great thing about pepper spray is that it is a quick and effective way of immobilizing an attacker. It will give you a great opportunity to escape and you most likely will not be followed.
1. SABRE 3-IN-1 Pepper Spray
The Sabre 3-in-1 Pepper Spray is one of the best sellers on Amazon and it gives great protection against multiple attackers which can be effective from over 10 feet.
Here is a video demonstration of how it works.
- It’s effective against any attacker.
- Can be shot from 10 ft away.
- Can be shot multiple times in quick succession.
- Can last up to 35 shots.
- You don’t have to shake it for you to use it immediately.
- Pressure is lost after storing it away for a few months. Be sure to test it every few months to make sure it’s still working.
- Canister leakage.
Though using an airsoft gun as a way of defending yourself seems like a good idea, there are other more effective ways of threatening an attacker and preventing him from coming any closer. If he does, retaliating with these items would be much safer than an airsoft gun that doesn’t have much effect.
If you or your child owns an airsoft gun, you might want to read this article about airsoft safety and understand how to keep yourself safe when handling airsoft equipment both in the field and at home.