In case you live in the state of Florida or are planning to visit, you need to get familiar with the Airsoft Gun Laws here. You do not want to find yourself on the wrong side of the law.
The state law in Florida prohibits minors without supervision from using airsoft guns and will penalize the guardian or parent of that child.
So, can you use airsoft guns in Florida? Let’s find out.
Which Airsoft Guns Are Legal
Florida allows the use of airsoft guns. However, there are varying grounds that airsoft players have to follow. All the guns below are allowed except to minors.
1. Restriction to Minors
As a minor under the age of 16, you are not allowed to purchase or use airsoft guns unless you are supervised by your parent or an adult that is acting on behalf of your parent. Here is what the Law (Florida Statutes 790.22) that controls Airsoft Gun usage in Florida states:
(3) A minor under 18 years of age may not possess a firearm, other than an unloaded firearm at his or her home, unless:(a) The minor is engaged in a lawful hunting activity and is:1. At least 16 years of age; or2. Under 16 years of age and supervised by an adult.(b) The minor is engaged in a lawful marksmanship competition or practice or other lawful recreational shooting activity and is:1. At least 16 years of age; or2. Under 16 years of age and supervised by an adult who is acting with the consent of the
To make it simple, here’s a breakdown of the law.
- Anyone under the age of 16 can use or purchase an airsoft gun as long as there is parental or guardian supervision.
- Any parent or guardian who allows a child under the age of 16 to use an airsoft gun unsupervised will have trouble with the law.
- The Law allows minors under 16 years to use airsoft guns if they are using them for competition or hunting.
- The Law allows minors to transport airsoft guns if they are supervised and the guns are unloaded.
Punishment for Breaking Laws
These punishments are both for the child and the parent or guardian. This is to make sure that those involved will learn the lessons to follow the laws of the state. After all, the aim is to keep everyone around them safe.
1. Punishment for the Parent
The punishment for the parent is to be imprisoned not exceeding 60 days.
The laws are there to protect you, your child, and everyone around you. To always be on the safe side, try following these laws for the sake of others as well.
2. Punishment for the Minor
The minor’s punishment is made in a way to teach the child a lesson on the dangers of firearms. The aim of the airsoft gun laws in Florida is to help minors understand the kind of harm that firearms can cause and to allow the child to have a healthy respect for real firearms.
First Time Offense
The child will be detained in a “Secure Detention Facility” or a kids’ jail for 3 days. This also includes 100 hours of community service in an emergency room that deals with gunshot victims.
The law also punishes minors by delaying their driving license by one year.
When you break the airsoft gun laws in Florida for the second time as a minor, you would get detained for 15 days. You will also get a mandatory 250 hours of community service in an emergency room at a hospital that deals with gunshot victims.
The child will also not be able to get a driving license for 2 years after they get to 16.
A Final Word
Whatever the law states, you need to always remember that an airsoft gun is not a toy. It is a dangerous tool and you should treat it with the same respect you would have for an actual firearm.
In Addition to this, the fact that most airsoft guns are made as exact replicas of actual firearms means that a person who does not know airsoft would mistakenly assume that you are carrying an actual firearm.
For this reason, It is really important to always carry your airsoft gun in a gun bag or case. If you don’t have one, check this bag now on Amazon. The links below have a list of affordable cases or bags that you might want to consider.
The key to playing airsoft is to always practice safety precautions in and outside of the field. There will always be dangers in most sports but if you know how to safeguard yourself and act responsibly, these dangers are lessened or even eliminated.
Tell Me What You Think
We have compiled all the Airsoft Laws by State. Find out what the law in your state says about Airsoft Guns.
Take a look and tell us if our posts are accurate for the state that you live in. Please also leave a comment on whether your state enforces these laws or not. We would love to hear your feedback. We’ll strive to keep these laws updated. Let us know if this is not the case in the comment section below.
Thanks for reading this. Please share it with anyone who may benefit from reading it.